Here is the latest deck build we’ve done. Check it out, and then order your very own!
Click on any of the post titles below to view related comments or to post your own!
Click the links in the descriptions to see manufacture’s website!
Here is a look at a condo we worked on, that had extensive water and insect damage, which caused some pretty dangerous structural issues. This is every homeowner’s nightmare.
Rotten FramingWe started this job taking down a second floor deck that was on the verge of collapse. As you can see there was some damage to the framing.
This doesn't look good.This is a close-up of what is left of the second floor rim joist. On top of water damage, there appears to be some insect damage as well.
"Looking down the rabbit hole."Here is a peek down behind the siding, at what should be, a structural header. Needless to say, it doesn't look too structural any more!
Ants!!Once we stripped back more of the siding, we found an active colony of carpenter ants.
DaylightThe ants ate completely through the plates above the door header.
Where does it end?Yet another structural header completely destroyed by water and ants.
This is a hold up!At this point there was no question we needed to put in some temporary bracing to hold up the secong floor. Luckily on this side of the house, the second floor is basically a loft.
The end is nearBasically all of the framing around where the deck was completely compromised, and needed to be replaced.
Moving inAfter we pulled off what was left of the rim joist, we discovered the ants had moved into the ends of the floor joists.
Like NewFinally the framing has been re-built, and we can button it back up.
Sealed UpHere is a look at the finished product. New vinyl siding replaces the old aluminum and T1-11.
A Look InsideHere's the view from the inside. After all of the exterior work, we finished all of the new drywall, trimmed everything, and repainted the entire condo.
Check out the new photo gallery of an addition we practically had to re-build this February. The shower stall drain had been leaking, we’re guessing, since the addition was built in 2005. It was quite a mess, but we got it back in tip top shape after a lot of cutting and re-building.
Under the ShowerThis was the grizzly scene beneath the shower pan. We believe that the drain has been leaking scince the addition was built, and was the main cause of the mold.
Under the Closet FloorThe mold was originally noticed on the baseboard in the closet next to the bathroom. Once we pulled the baseboard and cut into the floor, we knew we were in for a "fun" few weeks.
White Fuzzy PuffsThis is a shot of what the rim joist looked like. At this point we realized the exterior wall would have to be cut out and replaced.
Rotted LedgerShown here is the floor joist ledger board that was anchored to the main home's foundation. It hasn't been doing much for a while, as the floor joists are pretty much completely rotted away.
Outside!!Here is a shot from outside the house, after we pulled off some of the siding and sheathing. As you can see, the mold made it to the other side of the rim joist. What is not shown here, is the mold that crept up the sheathing.
Gone Finally!!As you can see in this photo, everything has been cut out and removed. The temp walls are up, the foundation stem walls have been cleaned, and the only remaining demolition is the rest of the exterior wall. It felt good to be mold free.
Let the Re-build Begin!Shown here is the new mud sill and rim joist. We left the old exterior wall up until the new floor framing was in to block the icy February wind.
Re-built and InsulatedAll of the new floor joists are in, and the unconditioned part has been insulated with several layers of 2" XPS.
Moving AlongAt this point, we have the sub-floor down, exterior wall built and partially insulated, interior partition walls up, and most importantly, the exterior door back in. This was great for us because the average temperature during this project was 15-20 degrees Fahrenheit!
Finished!Finally after long last, the project is complete. You can see the threshold where we spliced the new flooring into the old. Pretty good match in color and style.
New BathroomStep inside the new, mold-free bathroom!
Shower StallThis is the new shower stall we installed. Nothing too fancy, but I guarantee this one doesn't leak!!
This is a custom “Color Bar” we built for a local salon, Intrigued Salon. Click the link and give them a like!
Check out the new gallery, “Grist Mill”