This deck was old and worn out when we started, as you'll see by the upcoming pictures. Then demo started and it turned out to be far worse than expected.
Old and Tired
The next few photos show what kind of shape this deck was in when we started. Poor.
This was the grizzly scene unfolding as we cut further into the deck structure after finding ants eating away one of the beams.
On and On
The further we went, the worse it looked.
We pulled off what was left of the sheathing.
This is every homeowners nightmare. Near catastrophic water and insect damage.
Unfortunately, this is not the only area the ants ate straight through to the inside.
As bad as this is, it could have been worse. The ants didn't eat up into the exterior walls above the floor structure, so now we just have to lift the floor a bit and cut out what's left of the rim joist.
Up She Goes
While a little nerve racking, this was one of the fun parts of this job. We used a 8-18 steel beam, some screw jacks, a custom steel column, and a 20 ton bottle jack to lift this section of the house 1/4" to unweight the floor joists to allow for rim joist replacement.
After cutting out what was left of the rim joist we inspected the floor joists. While they had some holes bored in them, they were not that bad so we treated them as necessary and called the exterminator to take a look.
On the Mend
Just a bit more of the rim joist to replace, then its on to rebuilding the deck.
It felt good to finally start getting the deck put back together. Most of the joists were in good shape yet, so they got reused.
Finally started putting down the new decking. It's Trex Transcend, and the color is Tiki Torch.
Here is a look at the end result. All of the railings are still the originals, just re-stained, and bolted to the framing. Believe it or not, they were only nailed to the framing before. Not very safe.